|Its all about ships
After crossing the street that divides the cruise terminal from
the rest of the Lower Town, you soon come to the Place
Royale, the site of the first settlement in New France. Its name
dates from 1686 when a statue of King Louis Xiv was erected
there. The square has been nicely restored and it is a gathering
place for both young and old. The buildings surrounding the
square house shops and an interpretation center.
The church is the Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires, first
built in 1688 and then rebuilt in 1759 after being damaged in the
British capture of Quebec. Its name commemorates two French
military victories over the British that took place prior to the
arrival of General Wolfe. The church stands on the site of
Samuel Champlain's house.
Nearby is the Muse de la Civilisation. A modern museum, it
has two permanent exhibits - - one that focuses on the history of
Quebec and one centering on a Native American longboat found
on the museum site and believed to be the oldest of its kind in
North America. The museum also has rotating exhibitions on
different eras (e.g., the Ancient Romans).
The Centre d’interprétation de la vie urbaine is housed in a
restored Lower Town house once owned by wealthy merchant
Jean-Baptiste Chevalier(below left). It is one of the few
heritage houses open to the public.
OUTSIDE THE CITY
The area surrounding Quebec City has natural beauty. A significant part of this area belongs to the Huron-Wendat
nation, a self-governing territory within Quebec. The nation has recreated an authentic Huran village to document
Native American traditions and their way of life (above left).
Nearby is the scenic Parc de la Falaise et de la chute Kabir Koubae (above right). Its highlight is a 28 meter tall
waterfall that cascades through a 42 meter gorge.
Along the same lines, Montmorency Falls, which is taller than Niagara Falls, tumbles majestically into the St.
Lawrence near Quebec. The park in which it is located has hiking trails and a gondola.
In the center of the river is the Ile'd Orleans, a small rural island known for its picturesque villages and farms.
An important religious site is the Shrine of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré. Saint Anne is the patron saint of Quebec and
more than a million people visit the shrine, which is housed in a gothic-style cathedral.
Chateau Frontenac dominates the Quebec
skyline. It was built in 1893 by the
Canadian Pacific Railway Company as part
of a string of luxury hotels across Canada
with the object of promoting tourism by rail.
The Chateau was the site of the 1943
Quebec Conference between U.S. President
Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime
Minister Winston Churchill, during which
Allied strategy in World War II was
Today, the Chateau remains a luxury hotel.
Guides in period costumes give tours of the
hotel. Tea in one of the Chateau's dining
rooms is also popular with cruise
Cruise destination travel guide - - Quebec City, Quebec, Canada - - page 3
* This photo tour and the accompanying commentary should only be viewed as a general guide that is based upon one writer's research
and experiences. Accordingly, readers should do their own research prior to their journey. Beyondships is not affiliated with any of the
entities depicted or mentioned herein and assumes no responsibility for their actions and for the products and/or services they provide.
Nor is inclusion in this photo tour a recommendation of the entity shown, its products, services or facilities.
On the far side of the Citadel is the Plains of Abraham. The site of the decisive 1759 battle between the
British and French, the area is now a park, Parc des Champs-de-Bataille, encompassing 250 acres with
monuments and a discovery center. Not only does one get a panoramic view of the river from the cliffs at
the edge of the park, but one can see what a formidable task it was for the British soldiers to climb from
the river to the battlefield.
Today, the park is used for more peaceful activities such as outdoor concerts by the likes of Paul
McCartney and Céline Dion. The Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec with its collection of
Québec art is nearby.
Running along the crest of the hill from the Chateau Frontenac
to the Citadel is the Dufferin Terrace. This wide
boardwalk promenade offers panoramic views of the St.
Lawrence and of the Lower Town below. It is also the scene
of various events such as military re-enactments and book fairs.
The uniformed people guarding the Citadel are not re-enactors but rather serving soldiers
of the Royal 22e Régiment, a French-speaking unit of the Canadian Army.
Nicknamed the "Vant Doos" by English speaking soldiers who had difficulty with the
French words for 22 (vingt-deux), this formation has a distinguished history running from
World War I to Afghanistan. The star-shaped Citadel, built atop Cap Diamant between
1820 and 1850 is the regiment's ceremonial home and location of its museum. During the
summer, there is a changing of the guard ceremony and a firing of a cannon. The citadel
complex also houses the Governor-General's residence, which has rooms open to